The Qld Government has a scheme that entitles some people to up to $25 or 50% (whichever is the lesser) off a single taxi fare. Are you eligible?
About the scheme
The taxi subsidy scheme is one of our initiatives which aims to improve the mobility of persons with severe disabilities. The scheme is funded and administered by the Department of Transport and Main Roads
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE TAXI SUBSIDY SCHEME?
To be eligible for membership of the taxi subsidy scheme you must:
- be a permanent resident of Queensland
- fully meet at least one of the eligibility criteria listed below:
- Physical disability requiring dependence on a wheelchair for all mobility outside the home.
- Severe ambulatory problem that cannot functionally be improved and restricts walking to an extremely limited distance.
- Total loss of vision or severe visual impairment (both eyes).
- Severe and uncontrollable epilepsy with seizures involving loss of consciousness.
- Intellectual impairment or dementia resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
- Severe emotional and/or behaviour disorders with a level of disorganisation resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
Scheme membership is approved for a maximum of five years.
All members must reapply for assessment before their current membership expires.
If your disability is of a temporary nature, temporary membership may be granted for a period of 6ñ12 months. After this time has elapsed, you must reapply if you wish to extend your membership.
How to apply for membership
If you think you may be eligible you must:
- complete Part A of the Taxi Subsidy Application Form
- provide two passport size photographs
- visit your doctor or specialist and have them complete Part B and Part C of the application (and sign the back of your photograph)
- mail the completed application with the photographs to the Taxi Subsidy Unit, Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Your eligibility will be assessed by Queensland Health, or their agent. The Department of Transport and Main Roads will notify you by post of the decision, and if you are approved, information about how the Scheme works will be included.
If approved to membership of the Scheme you will receive your Taxi Subsidy Scheme electronic membership card within two weeks of the date of the letter.